I began woodturning in 2000. Obviously I have a lace fetish. This I blame on Binh Pho, whose seminar in Albany I attended in 2003, after which I immediately went out and bought a dental drill and compressor and airbrush. The lesson is to attend as many woodturning conferences as you can, because you never know where one demonstration may lead you.
I am very interested in form, seeing different manifestations of form in wood, fiber, glass, and ceramic art, and I am exploring these differences and similarities in my art, together with the influences of texture and color.
Woodturning for me is a very rewarding pursuit, because in a relatively short period of time one can produce something of real beauty. Of course, from the sweep of the Grand Canyon to the structure of a microbe to the form of a flower, the greatest artist of all is nature. We cannot compete with nature, but we can be inspired by it.
- M.Sc. (New Zealand, 1964)
- Ph.D. (Toronto, 1967)
- Professor and program coordinator, Algonquin College, Ottawa, 1969-1999. Taught courses in biochemistry, organic chemistry, toxicology & occupational safety, in English and in French. Coordinated program producing biochemical technologists. Retired in 1999.
- 2000 – Began turning.
- 2001 & 2002 – Toronto ‘One of a Kind’ juried craft show.
- 2003 – Ottawa Signatures ‘Originals’ juried craft show
- Ottawa Wood Show, 2002.
First competition. Entered in Intermediate and Senior categories, against several turners of long experience. Received first and second in Intermediate, first and second in Senior, People’s Choice Award (for the turning voted most popular by the public), and Best of Show.
- Ottawa Wood Show, 2003.
Second competition. Entered in Senior and Master categories. Received second and third in Master, first in Senior hollow forms and first in Senior bowls.
- Canada Council for the Arts: Travel Grant, 2004.
- Ontario Arts Council Craft Artist’s Grant, 2004.
- Winner of the Niche Award for Turned Wood, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2009.
- Ontario Crafts Council Award for Excellence, 2012
- Canadian Museum of History, Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
- Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, Massachusetts
- Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
- The Contemporary Museum, Hawaii
- The Center for Art in Wood, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Her Excellency Michaelle Jean, former Governor General of Canada
- Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
- Nobel Laureate Jules Hoffmann & Mme. Danièle Hoffmann
- Corporate collections: Shell Canada, Telus Communications, Staples, British Columbia Hydro, Home Hardware, Ikea, Canadian National Railways and Toronto-Dominion Bank.
- To date (2019), my work is owned by individual collectors in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, US Virgin Islands, British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, New Zealand, France, Holland and Australia.
- “New Horizons, an exhibition of fine wood art by acclaimed wood artists”, an invited exhibition for Gallery at the Park, Richland , Washington, and AAW Gallery of Wood Art, St. Paul, Minnesota; May-September 2018
- “Explorations in Wood”, selections from the Center for Art in Wood, a touring exhibition at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, the Maloof Foundation, the Dennos Museum Center and the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, from April 2017 to May 2020.
- “Creativity in Construction: A Collaboration of Materials”, juried and invited exhibition of the American Association of Woodturners, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2015.
- “Audacious: The Fine Art of Wood from the Montalto Bohlen Collection”, Exhibition at Peabody Essex Museum, Salem MA, 2015
- “Beyond Containment”, invited exhibition, Annual Symposium of the American Association of Woodturners, San José, CA, 2012.
- “The American Association of Woodturners: An International Invitational Exhibition of Turned or Sculpted Wood”, Southern Highland Craft Guild Folk Art Center, Asheville, NC, 2012
- “Hand Made” exhibition, Carnegie Museum of Art collection, April 2011
- “Emerging Patterns”, invited exhibition, Asheville, NC, 2011
- Invited national craft exhibit for G-20 meeting, Toronto, 2010.
- “Made of Wood”, juried exhibition, Erin, Ontario, Canada, 2010.
- “The Teapot”, invited exhibition, Annual Symposium of the American Association of Woodturners, Hartford, Connecticut, 2010.
- Contemporary Wood Art: Collectors’ Selections” exhibition, Wood Turning Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2010
- “The Art of Craft”, juried Canadian national crafts exhibit for Cultural Olympiad at the Museum of Vancouver for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games, 2010.
- “Ontario Craft ’09”, juried exhibition, Ontario Arts Council, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Unity and Diversity: Selected Works” juried Canadian national exhibition, Cheongju International Craft Biennale, Cheongju, South Korea, 2009.
- “Over the Edge, Woodturning into Sculpture”, invited exhibition, Prichard Gallery, University of Idaho, 2008.
- Collectors of Wood Art, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2008.
- Selected Works, del Mano Gallery, Los Angeles, California, 2008.
- “Small Treasures” Exhibitions, del Mano Gallery, Los Angeles, CA, 2005-2008.
- “Northern Exposure: Works in Wood by Canadian Artists”, Invited Exhibition, Canadian Consulate, Los Angeles, California, 2007.
- “Turning Green”, juried Exhibition of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) ; Portland, Oregon, & St.Paul, MN,2007.
- SOFA (Sculptural Objects and Functional Art) Exhibitions, New York and Chicago, 2006 & 2007.
- “From Sea to Odyssey”, juried AAW Exhibition; Orlando, Florida and St.Paul, Minnesota. 2004.
- Two-man show with watercolour artist Charles Spratt at Charles Spratt Gallery, Ottawa, Ontario, 2003 & 2004.
- Featured in the Summer 2004 American Woodturner, p.13.
- Featured in the September 2005 American Woodturner. p.37.
- Featured in November 2005 Woodturning,p.19.
- Featured in the September 2006 American Woodturner. p.16.
- Featured in “Woodturning Tips and Techniques” by Carol Rix, GMC Publications, 2006, pp. 5,8,159,170.
- Featured in 2007 Craft Arts International No.69, p.72.
- Featured in the September 2007 American Woodturner, p.20.
- Featured in the Winter 2007 American Woodturner, p.47.
- Featured in September 2008 Woodturning, pp.48-51.
- Featured in Winter 2008 American Woodturner, Back Cover.
- Featured in ID-Digest.com: “A Lace Fetish” by Joyce Hutchinson, 03/31/2009.
- Interview with CTV, Ottawa, November 2009
- Featured in April 2010 American Woodturner, inside front cover.
- Featured in June 2010 American Woodturner, p.6
- Featured in July 2010 Woodturning, p.70.
- Featured in “Conversations With Wood”, 2011, Pub. Minneapolis Institute of Art, p.232
- Featured in “Woodturning Today”, 2011, 25th Anniversary of AAW, pp. 10,17
- Featured in Woodworker’s Journal, issue 265
- Session with blind group (“The Unseen Pleasures of Turning”), Saint Paul MN, June 2011
- Acts of Chairorism, with Michael Hosaluk
- Featured in October 2011 American Woodturner, pp. 6, 34 & 35
- Featured in “An International Wood Art Collection” by Moreno and Dagmar Gabay, 2012, p.73
- Featured in Ottawa Magazine, January 2013, p.38.
- Featured in April 2013 American Woodturner, p.36.
- Featured in “Audacious: The Fine Art of Wood from the Montalto Bohlen Collection”, by Dean Lahikainen and Verlyn Klinkenborg, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem MA, 2015, pp.166-7.
- Interviews in 2014 IWCS video (from 14.50 to 20.14 mins) of work with Andi Sullivan in bringing woodturning to the blind and to disabled veterans.
- Featured in April 2018 American Woodurner, p.42.
- Article in September 2005 American Woodturner, pp.54-56.
- Article in Winter 2005 American Woodturner, p.60.
- Article in August 2006 Woodturning, p. 57
- Article in Summer 2009 American Woodturner, p.14.
- Article in April 2010 American Woodturner, p.25.
- Director’s Letter to AAW membership, December 2010
- Article in February 2012 American Woodturner, p.13
- Article on the 2012 New Zealand symposium in June 2013 American Woodturner, pp.44-47
- Article on compressed wood in December 2014 American Woodturner p.25
- Article in Creative Wood New Zealand, September 2016, pp.8-9
- Article on Piercing in April 2018 American Woodturner, pp.25-29.
- Article on Negative Space in April 2018 American Woodturner, pp.28-35
- Competition Coordinator, Ottawa Wood Show, 2004 & 2005.
- Member, Publications Committee, American Assn. of Woodturners, 2005-2014.
- Member, Bylaws and Policy Committee, American Assn. of Woodturners, 2011-2012
- Member, Professional Outreach Program Committee, AAW, 2013-2015
- Advisor to the Editor, American Woodturner, 2009-2010; 2015-2018
- Member, Nominations Committee, American Assn. Of Woodturners, 2010.
- Director, American Assn. Of Woodturners, 2010
(Invited onto Board as replacement for resigning Director)
- Advisor to AAW Board, 2011 – 2014
- Exhibition Chair, AAW Professional Outreach Program, 2013 & 2014
– Valley Woodturners, Ottawa, Ontario (numerous occasions)
– Hawkes Bay Woodturning Guild, Hastings, New Zealand, 2005
– Ontario Woodturners Guild, Pickering, Ontario, 2006
– Totally Turning symposium, Albany, NY, 2006
– Kingston Woodturners, Kingston, Ontario, 2008
– Kawartha Woodturners, Peterborough, Ontario, 2008
– Centre for Fine Woodworking, Nelson, New Zealand, 2008
– AAW Annual symposium, Richmond, VA, 2008
– Forest Hill Woodturners, Melbourne, Australia, 2009
– Greater Vancouver Woodturners’ Guild, Vancouver, B.C, 2010
– Cascade Woodturners, Portland, Oregon, 2010
– AAW Annual Symposium, Hartford, CT, 2010
– Saskatoon Twenty Ten Woodturning Symposium, Saskatoon, SK, 2010
– Kapiti; Franklin; & South Auckland Woodturning Guilds, NZ, 2011
– Finger Lakes Woodturners, NY, 2011
– International Woodturning Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand, 2012
– Turnfest, Brisbane Australia, 2013
– Nova Woodturners Guild, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2013
– Carolina Mountain Woodturners, 2015
– Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, 2016
– Wilmington Area Woodturners Association, 2016
– Grey-Bruce Turnfest, Port Elgin, Ontario, September 2016
– Toronto Woodturners Guild/Woodturners Guild of Ontario, Toronto, October 2016
– Golden Horseshoe Woodturners Guild, Burlington Ontario, October 2016.
– Kingston Woodturners, Kingston, Ontario, 2017.
- Annual symposia of the AAW:
– Providence, RI,2002.
– Orlando FL,2004.
– Kansas City,KA, 2005.
– Louisville, KY , 2006.
– Portland OR, 2007.
– Richmond VA, 2008.
– Albuquerque, NM, 2009.
– Hartford, CT, 2010
– Saint Paul, MN, 2011
– San José, CA, 2012
– Tampa, FL 2013
– Phoenix, AZ, 2014
– Pittsburgh,PA, 2015
– Atlanta, GA, 2016
– Portland,OR, 2018
- Florida Woodturning Symposium 2017
- Kamouraska collaboration, invited participant, Kamouraska, Québec, 2017
- Echo Lake collaboration, Pennsylvania, invited participant, 2009 & 2013
- Totally Turning symposium, Albany, NY, 2003 & 2004
- 25th Utah Symposium, Albany, NY, 2004.
- CollaboratioNZ, New Zealand, 2005